As you know I am studying Business and Mandarin here on campus. The business classes are clearly outlined and the language classes are intensive and engaging. I expected as much to be honest, and I like it. However, what I didn't expect was the make-up of the international student population over here.
The language school has been set up in a very interesting way. Of course, its language courses are for the international students only. No self respecting Chinese would take these 5th grade level mandarin grammar classes. Thus, our building is a microcosm of its own within the campus setting. This leads to some interesting social interactions. I think I have said previously, that myself and Charlie are the only two Americans on campus. That is actually to my liking as it means that when we socialize it has to be in Mandarin and it has to be interesting for sure. Our student population at the international student is ridiculous! We have students from Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Arabia, Mexico, Korea, and Japan just to name a few.
For example, last night I hung out in the lounge of the student center and had a very interesting conversation with a guy "Berik" from Kazakhstan. He was trying to practice his english so we had a really fun time. What is more he speaks Russian, Kazakhstani, Mandarin, Uighur, and English. I was really impressed with his experiences and all the languages he knows (I was jealous to be honest). But we talked about his home town and the differences between China and Kazakhstan and Russia. It was enlightening to say the least. Halfway through the conversation he called over his friend from Turkmenistan and they proceeded to teach me the small amount of Russian that my brain could handle at that point. By the end of it, we had a nice laugh and we ended up chatting in Mandarin for a bit.
Needless to say it has been a an eye opening experience as I can put faces to all of these countries. Also I think for them to see an American who isn't trying to be a jerk is helpful. You know the rest of the world isn't exactly fond of us. So anyway it has been fun. I also have some other Russian and Mexican friends who are in my same-level classes. We have had some interesting convos as well. Remind me to tell you about them some time soon.
Catch ya later. I have class.
No comments:
Post a Comment