Well, the weekend has passed well for me here. It was an intense week of classes. With my schedule fully worked out it looks like I have International Business classes for about 8 hours each week and then intensive language courses for 17 hours. The classes are well mixed so the week seems to go by quickly. Honestly the class schedule has come as a bit of a surprise. Originally I was only expecting half of my present class load, but on a different level I am thankful to be involved in such an intensive language program. It really makes me notice that I have HUGE room for improvement.
The Mandarin language classes are arranged in a very nice way. Instead of going through one thick textbook with one teacher, our classes are differentiated into their topical learning styles. Thus I am taking: Speaking. Listening, Grammar, Reading, and Test Prep. All of these courses have different teachers so even though we are in class most of the day. It doesn't really seem too troublesome. What is even more fun is the makeup of the student population. So like most language learning schools this department is comprised of a wide variety of international students. Most of my classmates are from Russia, Kazakhstan, Korea, and Mexico, with a little Singapore and Filipino mixed in. Needless to say that of all things Mandarin is the common language between us so it means we have to push ourselves to speak and listen to one another.
My business classes are an interesting thing all on their own. They are all internationally based courses that are taught in english. The coursework is very comprehensive and for the most part on par with the classes stateside. However, I have noticed that while all the textbooks are in English, a significant portion of some classes are in Mandarin. On the one hand it makes sense, because the teacher needs to help out the Chinese-born students with less english experience. On the other hand, there is only so much I can decifer about International Trade Practices in Mandarin...haha. Oh well, I think it will just be a challenge and for the most part-- I like it. I think I'll do just fine... I hope.
On a technical note. There appears to be chronic problem with my internet connection and loading pics. So it looks like you will have to wait a bit to see all the fun stuff. In the meantime may I interest you in a witty comment or a pun?
No comments:
Post a Comment