Wednesday we all took a little sight seeing trip after our classes. We usually do these trips in the afternoon by taking the bus to the Subway and then the Subway to wherever we want to go. It worked out that this time we went to Freedom/Liberty Square.
As some of you may know, Taiwan and China have a very tense relationship because of the cultural revolution in the mid 20th century. This resulted in a lot of very significant political events. [inform yourself:] One of these events, was a portion of China fleeing to Taiwan.
Hence, the founding of Taiwan and the reason for this Liberty Square which represents the founding and 'memorialization' of Taiwan and its Government.
It was actually very interesting to see the importance placed on such events. I have to admit that I have felt this tension at times with the students and people here, but I feel it is understandable. I think that given the political situation, it is best for someone in my position to respectfully understand and accept that this is the way things are. It is certainly bigger than me.
No comments:
Post a Comment