So this past Saturday was really neat because we woke up to a good deal of snow. I had heard that it might rain a bit the night before but I really didn't consider this much snow. It ended up being about 3 inches and it really made everything seems picturesque. Plus, living in this kind of city the most important thing snow does for us is cleaning up the air. All of that air pollution attaches itself to the snow as it falls and as I now write the air is unusually clear and pretty fresh.
So the roomate and I had a day of it. It was a saturday so we really didn't have anything to do. As all such days begin, we got breakfast. This fancy little setup is the food stand right outside of the apartment. They sell street food for cheap. We usually get an egg crept which is a little spicy and very delicious. They sell for about 3.5 yuan or 50 cents.
This official-looking building is the welcoming center to campus, I think. Either way our campus is pretty big and there are a number of buildings that look just like this. So yeah I've gotten lost once or twice.
And this is Tian'an'men square at the heart of Beijing. We decided on a whim to go check it out. It took about 45 minutes by subway ride and then a pretty long walk to get there, but I think it was worth it. However, we didn't go inside because it was really really cold and we wanted to get back in the subway as soon as possible.
Fancy street lamp.
Overall, it was a nice Saturday and I got back to the apartment in time to crash for my second round of jetlag.
EDIT: Hopefully the pictures work this time
ReplyDeleteNOPE
ReplyDeleteAny pollution snowball fights?
ReplyDeleteAlso, just so you know, pictures still aren't working here.
Dang, trans pacific internet. Sorry about that folks, I'm trying to find a work around.
ReplyDelete@peter: yes snowball fights and car alarms going off!!