Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nanjing Massacre Museum


So, I almost hesitate to put this up here, but I think it needs to be seen. One of our stops in Nanjing was the Massacre Museum, which is a memorial to the people of Nanjing for the atrocities committed by the Japanese army in 1937. Sadly, not many people know about this in the West, but it is a type of focal point here in the East when it come to Military history and culture. 



Essentially this incident involved the Japanese Military of the 1930's marching through China. They attempted to overtake the country city by city. As a result the military effects on Nanjing were devastating. It is estimated  by the Chinese that 300k people were murdered in a six-week period. However, this number is heavily contested by the Japanese who say that it should be around 200,000. 


Below: Grave-site uncovered several decades later. 




Now there is a very fitting memorial to these atrocities in Nanjing. The local Government has done quite a job erecting a suitable museum/memorial to this piece of the past. 
Below: Reflection chamber at the end of the tour. 





Above: a fitting poem in Mandarin *you're just going to have to trust me on this one*
Below: at the end of the tour there is a statue promoting liberty and a fresh start. 


Now, however the city seems to be in a completely different state. Development has been booming and the city of Nanjing has seen its fair share of growth. Being one of China's larger cities means that there is a nice mix of convenience and history in this southern metropolis

Back to Beijing. So I mentioned the bullet trains before. Here is a close up of our dependable mode of transport. I have really grown accustomed to using these high speed trains. The standard speed is a smooth 300 K/hr. (~190 m/hr). Actually a new train from Beijing to Shanghai is opening this June. It will cut the trip from 11 hours by normal high-speed train down to 4 hours. It sounds incredible

*I didn't mean to bum you guys out with the sad history,but I think it is worth looking into. Westerners don't know enough about Eastern culture and their identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment